Coffee and Pepper Crusted New York Steaks
This is an unusual recipe where the peppercorns meet the mellowness of coffee beans with stellar results. Turn the steaks when you see beads of juice on the surface of the meat. When the steaks are cooked to your preference, allow them to rest for a few minutes before serving so the juices have been forced to the edges can ease back into the center.
- 2 Tbsp whole coffee beans
- 2 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 4 New York (strip) steaks, each about ¾ to 1 inch thick
- Vegetable oil for brushing cooking grate on grill
- Kosher salt
- Preheat grill to high for 8-10 minutes
- Coarsely grind the coffee beans and peppercorns in a food processor or coffee grinder. Press the mixture evenly on both sides of the steaks.
- Lightly brush the cooking grate with vegetable oil. Grill the steaks directly over high heat, turning once, for about 8-10 minutes, or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove the steaks from grill, season both sides with salt. Allow to rest for 3-4 minutes before serving. Serve at once with your favorite vegetable or salad.