Tenderloin of Beef with Lobster, Artichoke and Mushroom Hash
This is a perfect dish for a large group sit down dinner. With the exception of the tenderloin, the hash can be prepared ahead of time and finished while the tenderloin is in the oven or the grill.
- 1 each 2½ lb beef tenderloin, well trimmed
- Extra Virgin olive oil for coating meat
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rosemary sprigs, for seasoning and garnish
- Thyme sprigs for seasoning and garnish
- ¾ cup demi-glace
Lobster, Artichoke and Mushroom Hash
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tTbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lobster tail meat
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped shallot
- 3 leeks, white part only, chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced lengthwise
- ½ lb fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large artichoke hearts, cooked and quartered
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 12 cloves roasted garlic
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Lightly rub the tenderloin with olive oil. Season with garlic, salt and pepper. Place some rosemary and thyme sprigs in the bottom of a roasting pan, place the tenderloin on top, and place a few sprigs of each herb on top of the tenderloin. Set aside at room temperature for about one hour.
- To prepare the hash, place 1½ tablespoons each of the butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the lobster meat and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until just cooked. Remove the lobster from the pan.
- Add the remaining 1½ tablespoons each butter and oil to the same pan. When melted, add the garlic, shallot, leeks, fennel and sauté over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes, until fennel is fork tender. Add the mushrooms and artichokes and sauté over high heat for 5-6 minutes. , until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates.
- Add the lobster meat, sprinkle in the chives, rosemary, thyme, and roasted garlic, and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until serving.
- To cook the tenderloin preheat the grill or oven to 450 degrees. Remove the tenderloin from the herbs and transfer onto the grill or a roasting pan. On the grill move the tenderloin to mark each side and remove after 15-18 minutes for medium-rare; in the roasting pan leave in the oven and cook for 22-25 minutes for medium-rare.
- To assemble each serving, place a mound of hash in the center of each plate. Slice the tenderloin and place slices on top of the hash. Heat the demi-glace and drizzle around the plate. Garnish with sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Serve immediately.