Indian Prawn Curry
While visiting a street market in Singapore's Indian district I learned a quick and easy way to make a savory Indian dish.
- 1 lb large prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp garam masala (you can buy at an Asian store or make it by using the ground spices common in Northern India)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Heat the oil in a pan and stir-fry the onions until it softens, 4-5 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, mix the garam masala, turmeric and chili powders with enough water to make a stiff paste. Add the spice paste to the softened onions and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they soften and become pulpy. Add water and bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Add the prawns, salt and lime juice and simmer until the prawns are tender, approximately another 5 minutes.